Cultivate Majestic Rewards: A Guide to Growing Winter Squash Crown Prince F1
Unleash the regal beauty and delicious sweetness of Winter Squash Crown Prince F1 in your UK garden! This F1 hybrid marvel produces stunning, steely blue-grey fruits packed with luscious, orange flesh. Renowned for its remarkable yields, long-lasting storage, and exceptional flavour, Crown Prince F1 is the perfect choice for gardeners of all ages and skill levels.
- Direct sowing: Sow seeds outdoors directly into prepared soil from late May to mid-June, after the last frost has passed.
- Indoor sowing: For an earlier harvest, start seeds indoors in pots or trays filled with seed compost 8-10 weeks before the last frost. Harden off seedlings before transplanting outdoors after the last frost.
- Seed depth: Sow seeds 2cm deep.
- Spacing: Allow plenty of space for them to thrive! Plant seeds 1m apart and provide strong support structures like trellises or canes as they grow up to 2.5m in height.
- Sunlight: Full sun for optimal growth and fruit development.
- Soil: Fertile, well-drained soil enriched with compost.
- Watering: Water regularly, especially during dry periods, but avoid overwatering.
- Feeding: Feed with a general-purpose fertiliser every few weeks during flowering and fruiting.
- Ready: Fruits are ready for harvest when the skin hardens and turns a dull colour, usually 90-100 days after sowing.
- Method: Cut the fruit from the vine with a sharp knife, leaving a 5cm stem attached.
- Storing: Store in a cool, dry place (ideally 10-14°C) with good ventilation. Properly cured fruits can last for up to a year.
- Succession sowing: Sow every few weeks for a continuous harvest throughout the autumn.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of mulch around the base of the plant to retain moisture, suppress weeds, and regulate soil temperature.
- Pollination: Ensure proper pollination by hand-pollinating or attracting pollinators like bees with companion flowering plants.
Experience the majestic taste and bounty of Winter Squash Crown Prince F1 in your UK garden! Order your seeds today and embrace the satisfaction of homegrown winter delights.