Guide to Growing Climbing French Bean Borlotto Lingua di Fuoco 2
Unleash the vibrant beauty and delicious rewards of Climbing French Bean Borlotto Lingua di Fuoco! This heirloom variety from Italy produces striking, red-mottled pods bursting with nutty-flavoured beans, offering both aesthetic delight and culinary versatility. Thriving in UK gardens, Borlotto Lingua di Fuoco boasts heavy yields and effortless climbing, making it a rewarding choice for any gardener.
- Indoors: Start seedlings in pots or trays filled with seed compost 8-10 weeks before the last frost.
- Outdoors: Direct sow outdoors after the last frost has passed, from late May to mid-June.
- Seed depth: Sow seeds 2cm deep.
- Support: Provide strong trellis, netting, or canes for plants to climb, reaching up to 2.5 metres.
- Sunlight: Full sun for optimal growth and flowering.
- Soil: Fertile, well-drained soil enriched with compost.
- Watering: Water regularly, especially during dry periods, but avoid overwatering.
- Feeding: Feed with a general-purpose fertiliser every few weeks when flowering and producing beans.
- Young pods: Enjoy fresh in salads or lightly steamed when they reach 10-15cm long, usually 7-8 weeks after sowing.
- Dried beans: Leave pods on the vine to dry out completely, then shell the beans for storing and future use.
- Continuous harvest: Pick young pods regularly to encourage further production.
- Succession sowing: Sow every few weeks for an extended harvest period.
- Pinch out: When seedlings reach 15cm, pinch out the growing tip to encourage bushier growth.
- Companion planting: Grow alongside aromatic herbs like basil or marigolds to deter pests naturally.
- Mulching: Apply a layer of mulch around the base of the plant to retain moisture and suppress weeds.
These premium ‘Climbing French Bean Borlotto Lingua di Fuoco‘ seeds are proudly grown in the UK, ensuring they are well-acclimatized to British gardens. Experience the joy of cultivating a piece of Italian heirloom beauty right in your backyard, with seeds adapted to thrive in our climate.
Embrace the beauty and flavour of Climbing French Bean Borlotto Lingua di Fuoco in your UK garden!