Onion Rosa Lunga di Firenze AKA Long Red Florence Onion Seeds
Discover the rich heritage of Tuscany with our Long Red Florence Onion Seeds. This heirloom variety is renowned for its sweet flavour and distinctive long, red bulbs, making it a perfect addition to any garden.
- Heirloom variety from Tuscany, Italy
- Produces sweet, mild-tasting red onions
- Long, torpedo-shaped bulbs
- Ideal for fresh use in salads and cooking
Planting and Care Guide
Sowing: Sow seeds in early spring, as soon as the soil can be worked. Plant seeds about 1/4 inch deep in rows 12 inches apart. In milder climates, seeds can also be sown in the fall.
Location: Choose a location with full sun and well-drained soil. Long Red Florence onions prefer a soil pH between 6.0 and 7.5.
Watering: Water regularly, keeping the soil evenly moist. Avoid overwatering to prevent bulb rot.
Thinning: When seedlings are a few inches tall, thin them so they stand 3-4 inches apart.
Fertilizing: Feed with a balanced fertilizer every few weeks to promote healthy growth.
Harvesting: Harvest when the tops begin to yellow and fall over, typically in late summer. Cure the onions in a warm, dry place for several weeks before storing.
Tips for Success
- Rotate your onion crops each year to prevent disease.
- Use mulch to retain moisture and control weeds.
- Monitor for pests such as onion flies and treat accordingly.