How to Grow Orange Habanero Chilli Seeds in the UK
Orange habanero chillies are a delicious and versatile pepper that is perfect for adding heat to your favorite dishes. They are about 250,000 to 350,000 Scoville Heat Units (SHU), which is about twice as hot as a jalapeño pepper. They have a fruity, citrusy flavor that makes them a great addition to salsas, hot sauces, and marinades.
- When to Start: Start indoors from mid-February to early March.
- Germination Mix: Use quality compost mixed with perlite for optimal aeration.
- Germination with Propagator: A heated propagator is best for germinating Orange Habanero Chilli Seeds. Keep the temperature between 28°C-32°C.
- After 3-5 weeks, your seedlings will be ready to transplant.
- Fill pots with a mixture of multi-purpose compost and perlite, and transplant the seedlings, planting deeper if leggy.
Growing and Caring for Your Orange Habanero Plants
- Grow in a greenhouse or polytunnel throughout the summer where, the temperature is at least 18°C.
- Re-pot several times, using a compost and perlite mix, and increasing the pot size gradually.
- Maintain consistent moisture and feed with a balanced liquid weekly.
- Protect the plants from pests and diseases. Common pests of orange habanero chillies include aphids, spider mites, and whiteflies. Common diseases of orange habanero chillies include leaf spot, powdery mildew, and fusarium wilt.
Harvesting Your Orange Habanero Peppers
- Orange habanero chillies are typically ready in 100 to 120 days. Harvest when firm and vibrant in color.